Smitten by Jane Birkin






I spent one whole office afternoon relishing the life of Jane Birkin. I came across her by accident and borne out of my non sequitur train of thought.

Jane Birkin is one gorgeous woman. But it's her story that intrigued me and kept me wanting to know more.






She was lugging around a straw/wicker basket in an airplane when Hermes Executive Jean-Louis-Dumas witnessed all her things come tumbling down. This meeting triggered the creation of the iconic Birkin bag that has women lusting over for years.



In the 1960s-70s, in all her youthful days as model, actress and singer Jane Birkin couldn't care less about bags. How is that for irony? The "muse" of the Hermes bag was a deep, soulful lover of life, her craft and men simply unaffected by the lure of material things. According to one source, she tried out the leather bag made for her (patterned after a Hermes 1892 design) then changed her mind. Shocking right?

Just shows she's got a different mindset when it came to style. If only for her colorful, fascinating life and real fashion panache, I can now say I adore a Birkin. The woman behind it that is. I love her, shabby wicker and all.


Comments

Popular Posts