When Art gives me the Shivers

Eversince I could remember, I have always been fascinated by design. Of any kind, for that matter.

Elementary days, I used to doodle clothes on paper. Complete with the swoosh effect for the model's head and the legs. I wish i kept those. Growing up with the sound of my Grandmother's vintage Singer sewing machine must be the culprit. I wish we kept that.

In Highschool, I designed my close friends'/classmates name tags, using pentel pens, crayons, art paper. Such a nerd am I not? But i loved it.

From College until now, design has pervaded my mind and existence more often than not. A certified Interior Designer-wannabe. An Art aficionado (minus the purchasing power of one). I just love art, of any form, shape and style.

This leads me now to the kind of art which Mitch Shivers has wonderfully, intricately shown in his GARBAGE exhibit at the UP College of Fine Arts. I call it FUNCTIONAL ART. It's not the static kind that we simply look at or hang on your wall, it's the art we use everyday. Happily, Mitch agrees.

Though this "trash to treasure" kind of design movement has been around for quite sometime now especially in the US and Europe, I guess the edge that Mitch brings to the table here in the Philippines is his "Industrial Engineering" background that makes his work output topnotch in terms of durable quality, innovation and the thoughtful processing reflective of the details you see in each "art piece" he has showcased.

Enjoy and be equally amazed....
  shelving unit with speaker pipes

 BlueMan group-inspired bust speakers w

  Comfy chair  from a Trash Can

 Electricity meter turned into a desk clock

 Galvanized steel chair made of floppy disks

Nothing has gotten me giddy or the "shivers" until I saw his pieces last weekend. No exagerration his work is greeeeat!

Drop by and see these and more for yourself. Experience amazing functional art. Hope you catch him there, so he can curate it for you.


GARBAGE/gar’baZH
works by Mitch Shivers
Fine Arts Gallery
UP College of Fine ARts
Bartlett Hall, E. Jacinto St
UP Diliman QC
Show runs til March 8, 2013




Mitch Shivers's functional art work

Comments

Popular Posts