Obsessing over Daphne


Her opinions have, most of the time, been misinterpreted.


Her eccentric haute couture fashion was an everyday staple to her, way before Lady Gaga sported her heel-less platforms.

Her buyer's remorse....Blue Jeans.


It's got to be great to be Daphne Guinness. Born to this world as the daughter of brewery heir Jonathan Guinness and renowned French beauty Suzanne Lisney. She has been a fashion stylist, film producer and perfumerShe loves fashion but avoids discussing it lengthily. I've always been intrigued by Daphne whose inherited name has not stopped her in paving a different path for herself.

Even in the face of all her "iconic" status and people begging for her word on fashion, she really just wanted to talk about something else really. Her sensitivity shines through in a lot of her interviews such as this one from www.hollywoodgossip.com

Here are other interesting thoughts from one of the modern-day princesses of Haute Couture, who once said "I don't approach fashion, fashion approaches me." 
(Excerpts and quotes lifted from various sites and magazine interviews)
From Interview
On books
I am reading Nietzsche at the moment. But I’m always reading many books at a time. It might be quite unorthodox, but what I do is, since I’m always surrounded with books, I’ll read a page of physics, and then I’ll read a chapter of a novel that I really love, and then I’ll say, “Oh well, what does that mixture do in my head?
On fashion trends and history
Fashion is not just about trends. It’s about political history. You can trace it from the ancient Romans to probably until the ’80s, and you can see defining moments that were due either to revolutions or changes in politics… But now we’ve been feeding on a sort of cadaver. At the moment, we’re just endlessly recycling the past.
On fashion today
How do you think the last 10 years will be defined? I can’t think of how…There hasn’t been anything real since grunge. That was the last movement led by music or an art form.
From her NPR profile about the reasoning behind her FIT exhibit
I don’t tell anybody else what to wear. I would never dream of it. I want [the next generation of designers] not to have to feel that they have to wear this or that in order to be accepted or acceptable.

I simply adore her. Skunk hair and all. 

Comments

chiaramamma# said…
and I continue to heart you for it! ;)

loudmouth, and all! LOL
downstairscafe said…
Hahaha!! Hearting you back for reading :)

Popular Posts