Nina asks the darndest things


Nina: Mom is it ok to be alone?
Me (puzzled): You mean alone, by yourself lang ('only")?
Nina: For example, alone in the house like that.
Me: Yes it's ok. As long as you're 'sanay' (accustomed) to be alone. Why do you ask?
Nina: (she dismisses me) Wala lang, wala lang. ("It's nothing, nothing, never mind")

This came right after I asked her to get herself a glass of water from the fastfood counter. She comes back resenting my constant telling her to do things herself. So I tell her off, "I am teaching you, so you know how to do things already." For the most part I was teaching her independence. An iota of that, I just didn't want to get up from my seat. (Lazy! Guilty as charged)

She answered jokingly, "Like when I am older and I have a child to take care of?" and gestures as if carrying a baby then laughs. To which I say "Yes" to. She pauses and........(Insert the convo above)

For my 8 year old to contemplate on a singleton's life is way too early.
Or was she thinking of me instead?

Comments

Popular Posts